TBI logo 

Yom Chamishi, 26 Tammuz 5777
Thursday, July 20, 2017

1857

Hebrew Benevolent Society founded by Jewish merchants in the town of Shasta

 

1864

Baby Charles Brownstein of Red Bluff is interred on consecrated grounds maintained by the Hebrew Benevolent Society. This is the oldest Jewish burial site north of Sacramento.

 

1976

Oct           Meeting of women interested in organizing a Jewish community held at the home of Mary Hendricks

Nov           10th Jewish Community Center organized, temporary officers approved.

Agreed to hold services 4th Friday each month, celebrate major festivals, and conduct religious education program for both children and adults.

Nov           26th First Shabbat services as the Jewish Community Center held at the Retail Clerks Union Hall.

 

1977

Sept         High Holy Day services led by our first student rabbi Gary Loeb

 

1977-1984

Student rabbis were only contracted for High Holy Days. Rabbi Arthur Kolatch from San Francisco came up periodically for other rituals such as circumcisions, B’nei Mitzvahs, and the conversion ceremony of four women.

 

1978

Sept         First directory of charter members: Includes 34 adults in 22 households.

May          First Bar Mitzvah - Geoffry ZeBrack

 

1979

May          The congregation voted to affiliate with the UAHC (now the URJ) and the name was changed to Congregation Beth Israel of Redding

 

1980

April         Rabbi Morris Hershman, UAHC regional director presents CBI with its charter.

 

1981

Jan           CBI accepts a generous  invitation from Pilgrim Congregational Church to use the church facilities for services and other activities. Thus beginning a 15 year relationship.

 

1984

Sept         Through the generosity of Congregation Beth Israel-Judea of San Francisco the congregation acquires a Torah scroll on long term loan.

 

1984-85

CBI expands its relationship with the HUC for one year and brings up student rabbi Jennifer Diamond for High Holy days and one weekend visit per month. From 1987-1991 we continue the monthly arrangement with the HUC.

 

1985

Shasta County Board of Supervisors grant CBI a deed to property in Shasta listed on the county rolls since 1872 as a Jewish Cemetery. This 3 ½ acre property was bisected when the current path of Hwy 299 was established.

 

1989

June         Dedication of new headstone for the Pioneer Baby’s Grave

 

1991-1996

Begin a long term association with Reconstructionist student Rabbi David Zaslow, of Oregon, for HH Days and monthly visits. He is later ordained. From 1991-2009 we are served mostly by a mix of Reconstructionist student rabbis and ordained rabbis.

 

1996

Nov          Congregation purchases its own home on Placer Rd. Our name is changed to Temple Beth Israel. Dedication Shabbat led by Rabbi Arlene Schuster.

 

1998

Feb          George Wandrocke donates a newer Torah to the congregation and our loaner Torah is returned to its home in the Bay area.

 

2009

We resume our relationship with the HUC and contract for monthly visits from student rabbis.

 

2010-2011

The sanctuary is remodeled and new flooring put into the classrooms.


2013

June          We finish paying off our mortgage holders and celebrate by burning the mortgage!